Few people can take a smoothie and turn it into a stack of pancakes with the charm of Jamie Oliver. This is one of those typical Jamie recipes that make you go “Ahh, never would have thought of that, but of course it makes complete sense. And looks so good!” So thank you once again, Mr. Oliver, and please keep those inspired creations coming.
These breakfast beauties are from his book Everyday Super Food. He graciously chose to share the recipe with the world via the endlessly entertaining Buzzfeed. I only made a small tweak by using mixed berried instead of just blueberries.
So this is how it works: Pop all your usual pancake ingredients, berries included, into a blender, or use a bowl with a stick blender. Blitz it all together, add in some more whole berries, then fry spoonfuls of your liquid smurf mixture to make pancakes. Top with yoghurt, honey, nuts, more berries and a swoosh of cinnamon. Impressive, delicious, healthy and easy! Weekend breakfast sorted.
Jamie Oliver’s Berry Smoothie Pancakes
Adapted from Everyday Super Food
For the pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cups mixed berries (or just pick your favourite berries)
- 1 large, ripe banana
- 3/4 – 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Extra virgin olive oil, to grease the pan
- Greek yoghurt
- Extra berries
- Almonds or other nuts
- Ground cinnamon
- Blitz together half the berries with the rest of the pancake ingredients in a liquidizer or with a stick blender till smooth. Start with 3/4 cup of milk and add more if the mixture is too thick. Fold in the remaining berries.
- Put a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and grease with a small amount of olive oil.
- Pour in spoonfuls of batter to make pancakes. Cook for a few minutes, till the bubbles on the surface of the pancakes burst, then flip over and cook for 30 seconds to a minute on the other side.
- Serve warm and be generous with the toppings.