Three reasons that breakfast bowls are epic:
- The toppings – I’m all for smoothies on a rushed morning (practically every morning for me), but I find myself craving texture when I have one for breakfast. Breakfast bowls, on the other had, have enough surface area for all your favourite crunchy bits, and some fresh fruit for contrast
- They’re instagrammable – a pretty breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day
- They make breakfast feel like dessert without the guilt – another thing that’s guaranteed to make your day better
The idea of roasting strawberries for a breakfast bowl came from this smoothie bowl that found me on Pinterest. Roasting fruit amps up the flavour and gives it a really nice jammy quality. Basil works quite well with berries and adds a lovely freshness here. I chopped it up finely (into a chiffonade if you want to be fancy, which, let’s face it, is why we’re eating breakfast bowls in the first place) and mixed it through.
This recipe is meant to be an inspiration to create your own breakfast bowl, so play around with different combinations of fruit and herbs or spices. You can’t go wrong with berries and mint, bananas and cinnamon or dates and coconut. Then go crazy with the toppings.
Roasted Strawberry Basil Breakfast Bowls
- 8 Strawberries – 6 whole, for roasting, and 2 sliced, for topping
- 1/2 tsp honey, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 breakfast-sized servings of Greek-style or plain yoghurt
- 2-3 basil leaves, finely sliced, plus some small leaves for garnishing
- Toppings of your choice, such as nuts, seeds, coconut and black pepper (trust me on that last one – it pairs really well with strawberries)
- Roast the strawberries (this step can be done the night before for a quick breakfast): Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Put the whole strawberries on a lined baking tray, drizzle with the 1/2 tsp honey and roast for about 15 minutes or until soft. Mash with a fork and allow to cool completely.
- Put the yoghurt into a bowl and swirl through the mashed strawberries and basil.
- Top with the fresh strawberries and other toppings and add an extra drizzle of honey if desired.