Winter has arrived here in Johannesburg without much warning, but I’m not going to let that interrupt my research on ridiculously cool ice cream flavours. Instead, I will be lounging happily in front of the heater, with my hoodie and fluffy slippers, and my bowl of ice cream!
This ice cream recipe is a true food fluke – quick, easy, no machine needed, but the result is majorly impressive. It’s my take on the two-ingredient ice cream that’s invaded Pinterest. Whip up some cream, whisk in some condensed milk, then add in whatever flavour you want (apparently roasted garlic is a legit ice cream flavour, but I’ll pass for now). Freeze. Done!
What did take time, however, was deciding on the flavour. Practically every dessert-related ingredient in my house was laid out on my kitchen counter (Hey, wait! Who’s been eating my Ferrero’s?). Then I just stood there with serious choice paralysis (should I go chocolatey, caramelly, nutty, biscuity, and why am I out of bananas?)
Finally (and with some input from the resident taste-tester), I settled on these three add-ins (so much for a 2-ingredient dish). Nutella, because who doesn’t love Nutella, toasted marshmallows, because anything associated with a braai is good, and salted pretzels, for texture and that wonderful contrast to all the sweet stuff. These come together for a fabulous frozen feast! You’re welcome.
No-churn Nutella, Toasted Marshmallow and Salted Pretzel Ice Cream
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 1/2 tin condensed milk (hide in a corner and eat the other half from the tin)
- 5-6 Tbsp Nutella, slightly softened
- 100 g mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup salted pretzels, crushed
- Melted chocolate and wafer sticks for garnishing (optional)
- Toast the marshmallows. For mini marshmallows it’s easiest to do this under a hot grill. Watch them carefully – they can burn quite quickly. Allow them to cool completely.
- Whip the cream till stiff peaks form.
- Whisk in the condensed milk, and then the Nutella.
- Add the toasted marshmallows and crushed pretzels.
- Freeze until firm.
- Serve drizzled with melted chocolate and garnish with wafer sticks if desired.